Pune is the ninth-most populous city in India and the second largest in the state of Maharashtra after the state capital city of Mumbai. Pune is also the 101st largest city in the world, by population. Pune is considered the cultural capital of Maharashtra. Pune is also one of the fastest growing cities in the Asia-Pacific region. The ‘Mercer 2015 Quality of Living rankings’ evaluated local living conditions in more than 440 cities around the world where Pune ranked at 145, second in India after Hyderabad (138). It also highlights Pune among evolving business centers and emerging 9 cities around the world with citation “Hosts IT and automotive companies”. Pune has also emerged as a new startup hub in India with tech startups like Pubmatic, Firstcry.com, Storypick.com, TastyKhana.com and Swipe setting up base in Pune.
- All the top IT companies have their presence in Pune, making it the 2nd biggest software hub in the country.
- Pune has a very strong manufacturing base across Auto and Engineering.
- Pune is one of the top 5 FDI destinations in India.
- Pune is also one of the successful start-up destinations in India with more than 400 start-ups from Pune.
- Pune City Connect is a forum to bring corporates, eminent citizens together to work on CSR activities on city level issues.
- With 811 colleges, Pune is often called the “Oxford of the East”.
- This has resulted in more than 30% graduate workforce, which has triggered the IT revolution in Pune.
- The educated and qualified citizens of Pune have been instrumental in driving participative governance, which is again one of the best across Indian cities.
- Close to the hills, Pune has sufficient water at aggregate level (1250 MLD).
- Pune has a very livable climate, with temperature ranging from 12 to 38 degrees Celsius.
- Pune has 94% households with tap water, 57% MSW segregation (highest in India) and 97% population covered by sewage systems.
- 98% electricity coverage with no load shedding.
- Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) spent INR 9,461 per citizen in 2013-14, 3rd highest in India after Delhi and Mumbai.
- PMC received AA rating by Fitch in 2015– an independent testimony to its strong balance sheet and fiscal prudence.